lol
collapse
lumia510
alto-800
Bitfenix Outlaw
samsung-ram
corsair-ssd
FRONIX STAR

Topic: the new iPad/iPad 3 review!!!  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Raghav_K

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 290
  • My incomplete website
  • Androider
Okay so here is the ipad 3 review as promised...

iPad 3 introduction:

iPad 3, or the new iPad, is the latest premium tablet from Apple. All versions of the new iPad costs, about 6000 more than the older iPad 2. iPad 3 is available in wifi only or wifi+4g variants. Please note that this 4G is for the US/Canada networks,and may not support the 4G india networks when they are available. But 3G indian networks are supported.

iPad 3 Wifi only 16gb version costs 30,500. Add 6000 more for the 32gb model and 12,000 more for the 64 gb model. Wifi + 4G will add another 8000 to the final bill.

iPad 3 Specification:

Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)

Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)

Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)

Weight:1.44 pounds (652 g)

Screen:   Retina Display | 9.7 Inch | 2048-by-1536 pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

Processor: Dual core apple A5X processor

Memory: 1GB Ram

Graphics: Quad core  graphics

Connectivity: WiFI, Bluetooth 4.0, 4G

Camera: 5 Megapixel Autofocus rear with HD recording, and VGA front facing camera

Battery: Built-in 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, with 10 hours usage time on wifi,and several days standby :P, charging time 5-6hours.

Ports:Proprietary 30 pin port, 3.5mm Headphone jack

Accelerometer: Yes, also light sensors, gyroscope.

Gps: Assisted GPS only for the 4G version.

iPad 3: Whats different??
         The new ipad, resemble the older ones in dimensions, and is slightly thicker and heavier. The main differences are the upgraded processor and graphics, extended battery life and the awesome retina screen. So this review shall concentrate on these.

The Retina Screen:

According to me, the main selling point of the new iPad is the retina screen. Apple upped the bar for the tablets and increased the resolution
http://www.youtube.com/view/Lv7JwmJMIgghe iPad 2 to 2048 * 1536.

iPad screens compared side by side

The difference is very glaring when the screens are compared side by side. I did that at the Currents Apple store in chennai, and found the ipad 3 screen to be much much better for movies and especially for reading books. Ipad 3 display is easy on eyes and a lot more crispier. The screen has also IPS. The pixel per inch is silghtly lesser than the screen of iphone 4s, but the difference wont be noticed according to apple, as the ipad is held farther away from eyes, than iphone.

Another comparison of the screen, by macworld:

Billa 2 teaser, in ipad :)

The Processor:

The dual core apple A5X processor (clock speed of 1 ghz??), comfortably runs the new iOS 5.1 and the pixel dense high res screen without any problems. Actually there were around 20 apps running in the background, and there was no notiecable delay. I use the ipad to read medical ebooks, which are roughly 2000 pages +, and >200mb in size and the new ipad opens em in less than 3 seconds, which wasn't the case with the tab I tried before → samsung galaxy 10.1. Tried playing few 700mb movies and the open up quite fine too. So I guess apple has really tweaked the os, for such results. Doing a benchmark is beyond the scope of this review and you'll just have to take my word for it, NO LAGS.

just showing opening a 200mb pdf in iPad...

And oh yeah, the games are too awesome in iPad 3, gotta check em out yourself...

The Battery:
       Quad core graphics, dual core processor, high res screen means a horrible battery life, right?? Not really, coz the new ipad has a 11560 mah battery, which holds good for 10+ hours of browsing, movies, reading etc. Switch off the wifi and it'll last for even more, which I think is pretty great. I ve done 3 recharge cycles for now, and the previous one lasted for 11 hours or so. The huge battery takes 6 hours to charge fully, though.

Others:

iPad 3 runs apple's latest iOS 5.1, which is gesture compatible, multitask capable, with intellingent power and task management. It switches off wifi whenever required and switches on intermittently to update apps n news, mails etc, and the task manager closes app whenever needed to free memory (similar to android). Also, it has iCloud support, which backs up contacts, calender, notes, pictures, documents, apps, settings and also has a utility to track back lost iDevices. Also iCLoud gets you 5gb free storage. Integerated are the itunes music player, youtube player, app store, etc etc..

"great to read magazines, the latest photographyBB magazine in the ipad"

App store is awesome and is a different experience from the android app store. Genius recommendations help you find new apps, and I generally find the quality of apps to be much higher, probably because they cater to a very narrow range of hardware.

IOS is a lot restrictive compared to android, and jailbreaking (not yet available for ipad3) will set you free. (similar to rooting for android)

Backups can be via usb or wifi to itunes, or via wifi to icloud.

Files transfer can be done by wifi or by itunes.

Conclusion:

I have tried to cover a few salient features, the main features that set the iPad3 apart from the crowd of android tablets, and it's predecessor.

The new ipad, though costing a premium is worth the money, and go get it if you need a good tablet with a big screen which can double up as ebook reader (ipad has a negative mode, which makes it nice to read ebooks).

'tried capturing the negative mode, din work'

If reading books is not big in ur list, you can buy the ipad 2, but never ever look at the screen of the new iPad, you will totally regret buying the older one.

Those moving from android, be warned that it's not as customizable as android, especiallysince jailbreak has not been released it. Also note that the android tabs, which can be compared to new iPad like, the transformer prime, and asus tablets are not available in india (as much as i know)

Thanks for reading my review... Comments welcome..

- Raghavendra Kannan  :)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:12:13 PM by rajan1311 »
This is a hidden signature. Click here to view it!!

Offline markanaxole

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 137
nice review..
but I see something here I need, THE MEDICAL PDF's !!
whr u got them?

Offline Raghav_K

• Premium Member
  • My incomplete website
  • Androider

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 611
  • got some awesome new free stuff :)
How is the camera buddy (rear one)?

Also, hows the GPS?
Intel Core i5 2500k | ASRock Z77E-ITX | Samsung 30nm Green RAM @ 2133MHz | HD 4850 | Corsair 550VX | SVG Tech HOC 40 | Bitfenix Prodigy

catch me at : www.techverdict.com

Offline smartamrit2011

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 87
  • I m AwEsOmE...
What about the heating issue?Play a demanding 3d game for around half an hour and check if it gets toasty.

Also i read smwhere about the wifi prob with the new ipad like the signal drops drastically beyond 10 feet.Did u experience these?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
Someday ill be somebody.

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 611
  • got some awesome new free stuff :)
and hows the music?? :P

sorry man, really excited to know how it is... hehe
Intel Core i5 2500k | ASRock Z77E-ITX | Samsung 30nm Green RAM @ 2133MHz | HD 4850 | Corsair 550VX | SVG Tech HOC 40 | Bitfenix Prodigy

catch me at : www.techverdict.com

Offline markanaxole

• Premium Member
ur a doctor???

my sis is a doc, I'm engineer CD
whr u got those pdf's from?

u got parks preventive and social medicine?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:13:01 PM by markanaxole »

Offline Raghav_K

• Premium Member
  • My incomplete website
  • Androider
Rajan, no worries.... The rear camera s fine, nothing very special though... Works well in good light,but there s no flash though.... Will upload some pics later... And mine s a wifi only version so it doesnt have gps... Only wifi triangulation...

The default speaker is not very loud, but the apps have sound booster with em, so can comfortably watch movies without headset... Ipad is not bundled with earphones, so i used the ones i had... No complaints there... N d music player is similar to what you have in ipod touch, and its good...

There are no wifi drop issues for me.... The router is in ground floor and i use the pad in my room in first floor... The reception signal strength is 70% which is the same i get in my pc....

I ve played smash cop for half an hour, din really feel the heat, and now that i have a leather cover, i doubt i'll feel it even after playing intensive games....

Offline Raghav_K

• Premium Member
  • My incomplete website
  • Androider
Aaaah mark u shd intro me to ur sis :P

Okay well there used to be a forum called drfouly which had a huge library of books, but now its down...

Also its very difficult to find ebooks for indian authors, coz they don sell an e-version, and scanned books are of low quality n a pain in d ass to navigate...

Offline markanaxole

• Premium Member
damn, y don't u give me the pdf's u got..

I'll open up a new site for u doc's..

and No I'm not intro'ing u to my sis :D

j/k but I'm serious abt the site :p
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:44:31 PM by markanaxole »