Bitfenix Outlaw
samsung-ram
corsair-ssd
FRONIX STAR
Sony PXW-X500 XAVC transcoding for editing in Davinci Resolve by ujinwang3
[November 20, 2014, 08:12:10 AM]

hdd not showing in BIOS by Lincon_WD
[November 20, 2014, 05:58:58 AM]

Topic: NXG Xtab A10 review  (Read 6977 times)

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 611
  • got some awesome new free stuff :)
NXG Xtab A10 tablet review!

NXG Xtab A10 almost went viral when it was announced a few months ago. It was one of the first few budget tablets that were actually very useful (unlike the Ubislate which was complete crap if you ask me). Thousands wanted to get their hands on it, simply because of its features and the price point it came at. Sadly there was some problem in their supply which gave time to its competitors such as Micromax and Veedee to catch up. But its finally here and readily available, but as I said before, there are other options in the market at around the same price point, so is the Xtab A10 the right tablet for you? Lets find out..

Here are the pros and cons of this device in brief, read on for an in-depth review..

Pros:
  • 7" Capacitive touch Screen
  • Capacitive buttons for navigation
  • Pre-Installed with Android 4.0 ICS
  • 1.5GHz processor
  • Good looks and build quality
  • Price

Cons:
  • No Rear Camera
  • No bluetooth
  • No sim card slot
  • Average audio performance
  • No GPS

Specifications:
  • Allwinner A10 1.5 GHz with Mali-400 GPU
  • 512MB DDR3 RAM
  • Android 4.0.3 ICS
  • 8GB internal storage, expandable to 32GB via micro SD card
  • 7" Capacitive touch screen with a resolution of 800x480 pixels (~133ppi)
  • Wifi (3G via Dongle)
  • Front camera
  • Mini HDMI out
  • USB OTG
  • Built in Speaker
  • 3600mAh battery

The Package:

The box is much smaller than I expected. It was package was well protected (good amount of bubble wrap) but the box seemed slightly battered, but no issues there. The box had 2 compartments, one on top with the tablet and on at the bottom. The top compartment had the tablet and the lower one had all its accessories, which included a charger, a mini USB cable, a USB on-the-go (OTG) cable, earphones and a manual. 

Looks and Design:

The NXG Xtab A10 is a pretty good looking tablet. Unlike the physical buttons present on the VeeDee D10 and the Micromax Funbook, the Xtab A10 has capacitive touch buttons. These definitely give it an edge over the others in terms of looks, but at times can be a bit irritating. These buttons are capacitive but are not illuminated.

The tablet seems more solid than the veedee D10 I tested and has curved edges, similar to the funbook. Its got a nice gloss finish and large NXG branding at the back. The power button and the volume rocker definitely feel better on this device and are nice and easy to use.

The tablet has sufficient input/output options, its got a headphone out, mini HDMI out, mini USB and a charging port on one side and the SD card slot on another.

Screen : The screen is a capacitive touch 7" screen with a resolution of 800x480 pixels, which gets you a pixel density of 133ppi. This is about enough for browsing and reading, but I would love to see a tablet in the price range with something more. The view angles are fine in most directions, but when you look at the tablet from around 30 degrees below the tablet, the quality deteriorates rapidly. Most users will always use it at a perfect angle, so no real issues here. The screen brightness is sufficient, you dont need to use it at 100% for indoor use, so save some battery life.

Operating System : Android 4.0 ICS

Yes the tablet comes pre-installed with android 4.0.3. It runs very smoothly and the general performance is very very good. The tablet comes pre-installed with the google play store (previously known as the android market). But it seems to be 'locked'. You need to run some scripts to unlock it. I guess one of our members can do a small guide on that, so it should not be too hard for you.

The inbuilt media player does a decent job, but you have hundreds on the market, so you can chose what you want. The tablet plays HD content flawlessly, you can easily hook it up to your TV and use it as a media player. Unfortunately I don't have a mini HDMI to HDMI converter, so could not test it. I really hope they include this in the package, its very useful IMO.

picture taken from the front camera

I was facing issues with Skype and Gtalk. Both are just too unstable and kept on crashing. I also tried Deer hunter, which too was not working for some reason.

Skype test : I tried having a few video chats with some friends, But I faced a very odd issue. Both of them reported my image being 'pink' and hence made a video chat impossible. I could see their image as well as mine perfectly fine, so I am not too what problem it is.

Music and Video :

I was somewhat disappointed with audio output from both the speaker and the headphone out. The volume was just not enough, however the quality was acceptable. The built in player played any format I threw at it, including .flac .

Video playback was good. I tested a 720p movie and It had no issues. The movie was around 2 hours and it ran it well with no skipped frames and the audio remained in sync (which is generally the problem in TV's build in media players).

Browser and Connectivity :

The main source of internet connectivity is WiFi, which is fine on the unit. The Wifi reception is pretty average and you should not face any real issues.The is no provision for a Sim card, hence for 3G you will have to use a USB stick (dongle). The support list can be found here :   List of USB dongles supported by NXG Xtab A10 NXG Blog

The NXG A10 lacks bluetooth, so that maybe a bummer for some, but a non issue for me.

The built in browser does a decent job, but with so many browsers available on the market for free, you might want to try out others. I personally like dolphin HD.
The tablet supports flash, so the web content you see will be almost the same as you would view it on your desktop. The screen may appear a bit squeezed due to the low resolution screen. The browsing speed is pretty normal, slightly slow for my liking, but you will get used to it. The performance becomes sluggish when you multi task (music+chat+browser), but I am sure thats the case with any budget tablet.

Gaming :

I did not try too much of gaming, but I did install a few basic games. I tried air attack HD, temple run, Dear Hunter and fruit slice. They worked fine and without any issues, just that the Deer Hunter just failed to start, not sure what the problem is.

ebook reader:

I think many people would use these budget tablets for reading books, so just wanted to include this bit. It comes with a built in ebook reader. Its a pretty basic one that does the job. The text is pretty clear, but you might want to play around with the screen brightness so that you save some battery life and also don't strain your eyes.

Performance and Battery life:

Here are a few synthetic benchmarks. You can compare them to those of the veedee D10 here : VeeDee D10 tablet a.k.a Ployer Momo9 Android 4.0 ICS review - Tech Forum India

They are pretty much where we expected them to be. Nothing extraordinary there.

Battery life is one thing that can be either a deal breaker or a deal maker. This unit comes with a 3600mAh battery, which is more than that of the micromax Funbook (2800mAh) and slightly less than the Veedee D10 (3800mAh).

Battery performance was nothing great. I watched a 2 hour movie (720p) with brightness set to 50% and wifi turned on. From full charge I came down to around 15%. I am sure you can stretch it out a bit more, you can switch off Wifi when not in use. As for normal browsing and music, I could easily get more than 4 hours of constant music and some browsing, that's pretty good. So it might last you around 2 days of normal usage.

Conclusion:

The NXG Xtab A10 is a great tab. The capacitive screen and the 1.5GHz processor make the tablet nice and responsive. It works as a great HD media player and good for some browsing and music. You can hook it up to your TV and attach a wireless keyboard and mouse to really increase its productivity.
The Tablet comes in 2 variants, the 4GB version is priced at Rs5490 and the 8GB version is Rs6490. Both are very competitively priced. I would give this product a thumbs up and rate it 9/10. The product is great, hope NXG can provide great support.

I would like to thank Mr Sandeep from NXG Electronics for sending in this sample and would like to wish them all the best for their future!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:06:51 PM by rajan1311 »
Intel Core i5 2500k | ASRock Z77E-ITX | Samsung 30nm Green RAM @ 2133MHz | HD 4850 | Corsair 550VX | SVG Tech HOC 40 | Bitfenix Prodigy

catch me at : www.techverdict.com

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
will be uploading 2 videos tomorrow...do let me know if I have missed out anything.. :)
Intel Core i5 2500k | ASRock Z77E-ITX | Samsung 30nm Green RAM @ 2133MHz | HD 4850 | Corsair 550VX | SVG Tech HOC 40 | Bitfenix Prodigy

Offline Tenida

• Reviewer [TFI]
  • Liked: 448
  • Nothing is impossible

Offline Dr Dre

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 232
  • Wampire
What about

looks
cam quality (skype or tango test)
Thickness
Touch points
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:25:18 AM by manofaction »
You Dream... I build...

Offline Dr Dre

• Premium Member
  • Wampire
 is the memory or any other real differences.in 5.4k version

Memory wont matter  me...
You Dream... I build...

Offline nishant203

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 127
nice review...and NXG logo is kick ass..

Offline tech33

• Liked: 15
Good One rajan  O0

I think you should have received earphones rather the headphones as mentioned bellow::

The top compartment had the tablet and the lower one had all its accessories, which included a charger, a mini USB cable, a USB on-the-go (OTG) cable, headphones and a manual.

Offline Dr Dre

• Premium Member
  • Wampire
some more screen shots plzz... rajan......
You Dream... I build...

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
is the memory or any other real differences.in 5.4k version

Memory wont matter  me...

That is what i am told..

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
What about

looks - already there, looks good, better than the D10 and Funbook
cam quality (skype or tango test) - added it now
Thickness - 12mm thick
Touch points - 5 touch screen

edited :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:28:18 AM by rajan1311 »