collapse
lumia510
alto-800
Bitfenix Outlaw
samsung-ram
corsair-ssd
FRONIX STAR

Topic: Micromax MMX 310G Modem review  (Read 35980 times)

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 611
  • got some awesome new free stuff :)
With 3G becoming more popular and prices falling, it is becoming more and more common for people to use 3G for their laptops and desktops. This turn out to be cheaper and more flexible than other solutions like Tata Photon. All you need is a 3G sim and a USB Modem. These USB modems are of various types and come at different price ranges.

The Micromax MMX310G USB modem is fairly common, you can use any 2G or 3G sim in it. It also has a micro SD card slot, so you could just buy one 4GB card and make the device a pendrive too. So lets have a look at this modem in a bit more detail..

Features and specifications :

Well, here are the full specifications of this device:

Model   MMX 310G HSDPA USB Modem
Technical Standard   
HSDPA   3GPP R5, up to 3.6 Mbps DL and 384 Kbps UL, category 5/6
UMTS   up to 384 Kbps DL and UL
EDGE   3GPP Release4, class 12, up to 237 Kbps DL and 118Kbps UL
GPRS   up to 85,6 Kbps DL and 42,8 Kbps UL
Frequency Band   
GSM/GPRS/EDGE   850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS   2100 MHz
External Interface   
Antenna   Internal antenna
USB   Standard USB interface: supporting USB 2.0 Full Speed
Power   Powered via the USB interface
SIM/USIM Card   standard 6 PIN SIM card interface, compliant with 3GPP 31.101 and 31.102
AT Interface   3GPP TS27.005/3GPP TS27.007supported
Main Features   
Auto-Install Software   Supported
Dimension (mm)   64.7(D)25.5(W)10.6(H) (USB Head not included)
Weight (g)   30
One RGB LED   RGB LED indicates different state.
SIM/USIM Pin lock   Enable/Disable
Simultaneous Operation of SMS and Data service   Supported
Operating System   Win2000/ XP/VISTA, Limited support for MAC/Linux Operating Systems
Phone Book   
Phone Book Capacity   100 in Modem
vCard version   2.1/3.0
New contacts   Supported
Edit contacts   Supported
Delete contacts   Supported
Delete contacts   Supported
Move between Modem, SIM card and PC   Supported
SMS   
SMS Capability   255 in Modem
Group messages   Supported
New SMS   Supported
Send SMS   Supported
save SMS to drafts   Supported
Reply SMS   Supported
Forward SMS   Supported
Delete SMS   Supported
Import from SIM/Modem to PC   Supported
Attention   For MAC OS:
1.Mac Book, Mac Book Pro, iMac, Mac Pro or Mac mini (Intel CPU)
2.Mac OS X 10.4.9 or higher 3.Support connection to Internet only .

So yea, it supports all 2G/3G sims. You can send and receive SMSes when staying connected and you have a nifty little micro SD slot.

Installation :

Installation is as easy as it can get. Put the sim into the "tray" and push the tray back in. Now just plug in the USB modem and you will get an option to install the modem software. Just click on the software installation icon and its a 2min job. Now, when you have to connect to the internet, just plug in the modem in any USB port, start the micromax modem manager, wait a few seconds for it to identify your device. When that is done, click on the connect button and it will get connected in a few seconds and you are done. You can constantly monitor your usage and speed.

Speed and connectivity:

This is one area of concern for most. But the Micromax MMX 310G does fairly well here. I get 1.4Mbps download speeds and 300kbps upload speeds on my BSNL 3G card, but that depends a lot on the signal strength and other factors. I am pretty happy with the aspect and got no complaints.

Here is the result of my speed test.

I tried some online gaming, in particular Counter Strike 1.6. The latency i got was pretty bad, on servers where i normally get constant 60ms latency, with BSNL 3G i get 130-200 latency. This has nothing to do with the modem itself, just letting you all know how it feels gaming on wireless, not fun !

Issues faced :

Well, I cant say it had no problems, I had quiet a few..

Firstly, I had an issue with the device being recognized on Windows 7 x64 bit machine. I had to reboot and reinstall the software everytime i wanted to connect. But this problem phased out itself and I dont have this issue anymore. Also, this issue was only with 3G sims, 2G sims ran perfectly.

Another major issue I had was pathetic speeds. After using this device for almost a month, i was only getting 60-70kbps. Then a friend suggested a trick,which worked like a charm and i started getting proper 3G speeds. So here is that trick just in case you need it:

After you insert the USB modem into the USB slot and the system recognizes the device, do not connect.  In the Modem manager, go to Settings -> Network Mode ->Select  UMTS/HSPA only.
By default it will be dual, change it. The Device manager may crash, dont worry,just start it again.

Conclusion:

The Micromax MMX 310G is a good device, it gives you what it promises. It has a good design and decent functionality. I got this off ebay for Rs2850, but you can get it locally for as low as Rs2200. Its a fairly expensive as there are other options for even lower price points and same feature set. If you guys got any questions regarding this, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:25:18 AM by rajan1311 »
Intel Core i5 2500k | ASRock Z77E-ITX | Samsung 30nm Green RAM @ 2133MHz | HD 4850 | Corsair 550VX | SVG Tech HOC 40 | Bitfenix Prodigy

catch me at : www.techverdict.com

Offline guardian

• Member [TFI]
  • Liked: 24
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep

-    Robert Frost

Offline IMF

• Reviewer [TFI]
  • Liked: 101
  • TFI
  • >>I AM WhAT I AM<<
nice one!!

Hope you are getting good speeds in torrents too.Because i fairly go to 100KBps in torrents.
I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever :P

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
Intel Core i5 2500k | ASRock Z77E-ITX | Samsung 30nm Green RAM @ 2133MHz | HD 4850 | Corsair 550VX | SVG Tech HOC 40 | Bitfenix Prodigy

Offline Vishwa Black

• Premium Member
  • Liked: 3
  • In Design Today
  • I Will Make my dreams into reality
http://www.inblanktheory.com/  a home for all sorts of collectors a knowledge hub......

Offline IMF

• Reviewer [TFI]
  • Liked: 101
  • TFI
  • >>I AM WhAT I AM<<
not tried yet, will do soon..

also i today did the Rs274 recharge and its working like a charm you too try it.
I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever :P

Gautampossible

Nice thread.

Well, i bought this MM310g modem last week. I'm facing a problem that most of the times (say 8/10) when i plug it in usb port, it shows "NO DEVICE" on screen and a red light persists in modem. Plz help me solve this as its very annoying. Also tell if its modem hardware problem or wat..??

I'm using dell lappi with windows 7.

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
Haha, if you read the problems, I had the SAME issue. Windows 7 64bit, kept on saying device not found.

Sadly,rather luckily , that problem just went away for me after a month of struggle. Here is the makeshift solution that worked for me:

1)Uninstall software
2)Reboot
3)Install software
4)Use normally

I did this for almost 3 weeks, then the problem suddenly went away. I am sure its a software issue and not a hardware issue.

Gautampossible

how about installing any previous version like XP...??
how come the problem solved for you suddenly..u sure u didn't do anty magic trick.. :D ...no seriously its too tirin to install it evrytime..:(

Offline rajan1311

• Premium Member
sorry bro...but i did nothing...

For me the problem was only with 3G sims, do the reinstall trick (one i posted earlier),somehow make it recognize once. Then you change to UMTS only, I think I did this also..see if it works...

I did not have this issue with any 2G sim, try a BSNL 2G sim, enable UMTS and see what happens, one member has done this, it works,better still, he gets 3G speeds with a 2G data plan!